Wednesday, April 18, 2012

If You Have Nothing Nice to Say


When I announced my family’s decision to withdraw my daughter’s from the local public school system we received what I can only describe as a mixed response.  My closest friends always supportive reassured me of my fears and uncertainties, many acquaintances commended my enthusiasm and dedication, and then from some of the people whom I value the most in my life there was silence.  Having spent two years with the consideration of home schooling in the back of my mind, when the time came to make a firm decision I was prepared.  I had spent much time researching, talking with home schooled families, and most importantly praying that God would give me a hundred percent confidence when the time was right.  So many times I have told my children, “If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.”  Though in this situation, the silence seems to scream obscenities at me.  I’ve carried on with what I know is the right thing for my family, taking the unschooling approach, I post on Facebook pictures and stories of our daily adventures.  I mention my lesson planning, our upcoming field trips, and proudly brag on our achievements.  For a while I’ve sat on the other side of my computer screen eagerly waiting for a comment of praise or even a dislike so the silence will be broken. Thus far taking the stubborn Mommy approach and insisting that every day look like sunshine and cherry blossoms has literally only robbed me of much needed planning time!   I’ve come to the conclusion maybe the basic rule for keeping a tight lip may be the most appropriate way to handle a situation such as this.  Maybe it’s time for me to stop hoping in the click of a mouse pad I may find approval.  I’m certain I am not the only mother whose decision to school their children themselves was less than popular. I’m certain it won’t be the last decision I make in my parenting years that require a few lips to remain sealed.  As with all our parenting experiences, when teaching our children (and we are all teachers but that will be a later discussion) some days are noted for the accomplishments and joys, while others require us to debrief and to find the courage to do it again tomorrow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment